Agent VAPE News and Notes VAPE News: Daily Industry Report

Vape Device Catches Fire In Man’s Pants Pocket

An employee of Central Cellars Wines and Spirits in New York City was fraternizing with coworkers while behind the store counter, when an e-cigarette he carried in his pants pocket violently exploded.

Security cameras captured the moment when Otis Gooding, 31, became startled and jumped about as sparks and gases were discharged from his device’s battery, burning his leg, thigh and hand, according to Gooding’s attorney, Sanford Rubenstein.

Surveillance footage taken at Central Cellars Wines and Spirits in NYC, shows store employee Otis Gooding reacting to the fire and sparks created by an e-cigarette battery that failed while stowed away in his pants pocket. (Source: CNN)
Surveillance footage taken at Central Cellars Wines and Spirits in NYC shows store employee Otis Gooding reacting to the fire and sparks created by an e-cigarette battery that failed while stowed away in his pants pocket. (Source: CNN)

None of the other employees that were in proximity of Gooding were injured, though co-workers who saw the explosion told CNN that they were “shaken up” in response to what had occurred.

One of the wine store’s other employees, John Lee, said that he took cover behind one of the pillars located inside the store as soon as there were signs of trouble.

“Unfortunately there was nothing we could do but call the police,” Lee told CNN. “Otis ran water on himself till the paramedics came. I was traumatized to see someone hurt that way.”

Gooding was admitted to the Weill Cornell Medical Center burn unit where he was expected to undergo surgery for the third-degree burns he suffered during the incident, according to Rubenstein.

Click here to visit CNN for the full story.